Monday, March 2, 2009

Thank You

I am so happy to be working on this project. It seems that everyone has something to add. I love this response from Jewel. In my efforts to keep from using Creative Memories proprietary material, I have left out certain processes. I guess I just need to make a little line to add to all my posts that covers this subject. Thank you for pointing out that we can sample color from anywhere visible on the page. I was unaware of this. I learn something new everyday. Any more questions are invited. I seem to have acquired lots of help. Thank you, everyone. I am still getting to the post about extracting pictures. I want it to look nice so that I look like I know what I am talking about.




Jewel said,
A couple of things I'd add....

I never unlock my background. I always create a square and on the page, and make it the size of the page, and use that as a background. My reason for doing this is that background piece can never be re-sized. For example, if you do a layout in 12 x 12 and decide you actually want to print it at 8 x 8 ... you unlock all your elements and papers, click 'select all' then 'group' and you can resize the whole thing at once to 8 x 8. BUT that background page won't resize. So I have learned (the hard way) just to leave it white, and leave it locked, and build my papers by starting with a square from the shapes menu. Did that make any sense?

Also, you can colour sample from a photo that is not on your page, as long as the photo is showing along the right. You can also colour sample from elements or papers or pages you have already done, as long as they are showing on the right. You can colour sample from anything that is visibile when you click 'sample'


And about adding your overlays to your surfaces file of the program ... I do it a different way. I don't add it to the program files at all (that's scary and makes the program bulky to load) I just add a collection to 'My Stuff' of all my overlays. then I pull them on to the page and play wit opacity, size, shadows, etc. I have gigs and gigs of overlays (I am an overlay addict) and it would seriously slow down my program to put them all in the program file. And finally - I would encourage you to play with the gradient settings on your papers sometimes if you haven't already. You can do a 2 colour gradient, with very slightly different colours, and it just gives your page some dimension (in addition to whatever overlays you are using). And a 2 colour gradient with totally different colours (say, purple and pink) can be quite stunning.

2 comments:

  1. I love overlays also. I used to do it the way Jewel does hers, but doing it Geezee's way just turns out perfect without changing the colour of the paper and there's NO fiddling. I just put one or two overlays into the 'surfaces' file as I need them & remove when I need to add another. It hasn't slowed down my program at all that way.

    I would love some hints or tips on using masks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I like fiddling ... you wouldn't believe how much fiddling I do. And sometimes I have 8 or 9 overlays one one page, with varying degrees of opacity. That's another thing about adding them into the 'surfaces' file ... you can't change the opacity. If I want to us a floral and a grungy and say a torn overlay ... I need to be able to just pull them onto the page and play with opacity and sometimes I'll even put another colour layer in between them with low opacity too, to add to the brightness. But like I said - I love fiddling - so anyone who doesn't want to fiddle will want to use the other method.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your participation in this blog.